Friday, September 4, 2009

TGIF

It's been a great week but I have to admit that I am ready for a long weekend!!

In math we practiced creating the greatest number possible using a given set of digits. We also continued learning how to play the 100's chart game. Additionally, the students completed "exit cards" where I said three different 3-digit numbers and they had to write each number in standard form as well as in expanded form.

From time to time I will give the children exit cards which are really just an index card on which the students complete 2-3 items. Then I sort the cards over a trash can. REALLY! I throw away the cards of the students who completed all of the problems correctly. Then I sort the rest of the cards according to the reason for their errors. I then use the results to work with small groups to help them master new skills.

I hope this explanation makes sense...it is Friday afternoon!!

After math I introduced a tool for learning new vocabulary called a concept map. This is a graphic organizer that takes a word (or concept) and using context clues (from text) and a definition from a dictionary or glossary has the students come up with similar ideas and examples to help further their understanding of the word.

We also went to the media center this morning.

Following lunch and recess the students will create invitations to Back to School Night and read their books from the media center. During this time, I will continue with my reading assessments. Then the students will create a map of their desk.

Finally, we will end the day with "Fun Friday". At the end of the day on Fridays, students in grades 3-5 will have the opportunity to participate in an extra recess or other fun activity IF they have completed ALL of their homework for the ENTIRE week. Students who missed one or more homework assignments during the week will gather in a classroom to work on missed assignments.

No comments:

Blog Archive