Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tuesday

This morning, in math, we continued using Hands on Equations to help understand and identify unknown values in equations. There is a practice multiplication worksheet for homework. We will be taking the unit 3 assessment next week.

We began reading by going over the BCR from the practice MSA reading session last Friday. First, I handed back the student's actual paper that had feedback written by me. Then I discussed what was required to answer the question in a complete manner. Finally, I drafted an example of a "good" response. As I wrote, I explained where I located the information and why I was including it. I also pointed out that not only is it necessary to include information from the text but you had to EXPLAIN it, too.

After reviewing the BCR, we discussed fact (something that can be proven) and opinion. We began reading an article from the current issue of National Geographic and identifying facts and creating opinions. However, we ran out of time. WE will finish this tomorrow.

Next we went to the computer lab where most of the students continued publishing their writing using Microsoft Word. Some students conferenced with me or worked on their graphic organizer for their third informational writing piece.

Following lunch and indoor recess the students will continue working on their third writing pieces, the proper noun worksheet and a fact or opinion worksheet, while I meet with reading groups.

Bears:We will being a new fable, the Tortoise and the Hare.

Tigers: We will finish reading the wind and sun fable and discuss vocabulary. Then the students will complete a vocabulary worksheet in class. For homework they need to answer a cause and effect question in their RRJ.

Lions: We will have a shared inquiry discussion using our focus question that we answered for homework last week. For homework they need to finalize their answer to the question in the packet.

We will end the day with social studies. We will use our map skills and knowledge of human and physical characteristics to answer some questions.

No comments:

Blog Archive