Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Terrific Tuesday!!

I've got to tell you...it is the beginning of the third week of school and I am already meeting with reading groups. I am so proud of myself!!! WooHoo! Okay, I only got to two of the three groups but we are on our way!

I had a meeting during math but I left the class in the extremely capable hands of Mrs. Benson. Together they continued working on numeric patterns and even got some practice identifying and extending geometric patterns. They also went over last nights homework and clarified the confusions! :-) There is a worksheet for homework tonight. I believe that it is more straight forward. Some children also have some classwork to finish at home tonight...there was a lot of socializing during math.

Onto reading...did I mention I was able to meet with two groups?!?! LOL! We read Miss Rumphius and spent time identifying character traits for Miss Rumphius and finding evidence in the text to support these traits. While I met with reading groups the children worked independently on a character trait chart in their RRJ. They also practiced writing the letter "B" in cursive and collected more /ee/ words.

Reading groups:
Junior Great Books (JGB)
We met and discussed the expectations of the group. We also read a poem called The Cat of Cats and discussed and wrote about the meaning of the poem.

Frog and Toad
We met and practice writing some familiar words from the text on white boards. Then the children read the first chapter with partners and discussed connections they made to the text.

Following lunch and indoor recess we will continue reading Frindle. Then we will read The Listening Walk and notice how the author writes in a way that clearly describes the sounds that are heard during the walk. We will continue writing personal narratives trying to add sound descriptions to our writing.

We will end the day with a WebQuest in the computer lab. Mr. Vogel found a web site that provides information about fingerprinting. The children will go to the web site and complete a worksheet using information found on the site.

Additional homework: There will be a capitalization worksheet AND students are expected to read for at least 15 minutes EVERY night...even if I forget to remind you! :-)

No comments:

Blog Archive