Thursday, January 31, 2008

MAP-R

Today both Mr. Vogel's class and our class completed the MAP-R reading assessment. This is the assessment that is done on the computer, three times a year.

Due to MAP-R we stayed in homeroom for math. We did a practice math activity for MSA. I gave the class 20 minutes to complete the acitvity that included several multple choice questions and 2 BCR's. Then we went over the correct answers and strategies for finding these answers.

This activity proved useful on many fronts...first, I think many children were pleased to discover that they knew a lot of the information covered on the test...I saw many fears alleviated. Additionally, I discovered two items in which the children, overall, could benefit from additional practice...so I will keep that in mind as I plan my instruction.

After that, we went to the computer lab to take the MAP-R...many students showed a lot of growth since the beginning of the year. I will use the broken down data to identify areas of need and appropriately plan further instrcution.

When we returned to the classroom, we discussed that -au usually makes the aw sound and the students picked new spelling words. They will have a spelling test on Friday, February 8 and homework will be due at that time, too.

Following lunch and outdoor recess, we completed choosing our spelling words and I handed out a reading comprehension worksheet that is homework tonight. Then we went to the computer lab for "free choice" since all of the travel brochures have been completed. We will end the day with a lesson taught by our counselor, Mrs. Howard.

No comments:

Blog Archive