Friday, September 27, 2013

TGIF!!!!

The students began their day in PE.

When they returned to class we spent a few minutes discussing third grade and class expectations.  I reminded students that it is their job to stop my teaching and ask questions if they are confused or something is unclear.  I also explained that I take the time to provide feedback on most of their work.  They need to read it and use it!  If they don't understand my feedback, they should speak to me.

I also addressed the need to follow directions and complete assignments according to expectations.  The example I used was my direct instruction lesson that focused on adding a conclusion, WITH dialogue, to the good deed personal narrative.  I taught and modeled doing this using my own personal narrative.  Yet, most students did not meet this expectation in their final draft.  This is just one example that is fresh in my mind.

I told the class that I care so much and want each and every child to succeed.  When I provide feedback or ask students to redo something, it's not that I'm angry or don't like them, it's because I want the child to learn and meet their full potential.

All in all, I felt it was a good talk!  :-)

Next, we reviewed rounding to tens and hundreds and adding and subtracting with regrouping.  Then the students took their math quiz.  These have been scored.  They will be returned to students and should be kept in the math section of their binder.

After math we reviewed common nouns and learned about proper nouns.  We watched a song about nouns and then practiced identifying words as either a common or proper noun.  Then we re watched the You Tube song about prefixes and suffixes, from yesterday.  Following the video, students were split into groups of 3 or 4 and given a poster with a root word written in the middle of it.  Working collaboratively, they used the lists of common prefixes and suffixes, that they were given yesterday (stored in the reading section of their binder), to create a poster showing words they could make by adding a prefix and/or suffix to their base word.

We went to lunch after students shared their posters.  Then we packed up to go home!

I will be out of the building on Monday.  I am part of a math  intervention team from our school and will be going to a training meeting.

Mrs. Robinson will be here in my place.  Some of the highlights include; finishing the MAP-P assessment the students began yesterday, a science review quiz (there is a study sheet coming home today), continuing with subtraction (but across zeroes) and identifying cause and effect in informational text.

No comments:

Blog Archive