Friday, March 18, 2011

TGIF

This morning in math we practiced identifying fractions of a set. An example is 1/3 of 12 is 4. This is a challenging concept. We will continue working on this on Monday.

In reading I modeled reading my second resource about Michael Jordan and adding new information, including exact dates, to my capture chart. There were many "teachable moments" including the new resource stating that Jordan was born in New York when the original text said he was born in North Carolina. This led to a discussion about the need for a third source.

The students spent the rest of the reading block completing the capture sheets for their famous person, finishing unfinished work and reading a new National Geographic.

I met with the hornets reading group to finish reading our novel, Caleb's Story. Then I began meeting with individual students to conduct informal reading assessments. I plan to continue this next week. I want to meet with each student to ensure that I have a firm grasp on their current reading abilities, including; decoding, fluency and oral comprehension.

Following lunch and outdoor recess the students will go to music. When they return, the entire 3-5 grade will enjoy the extra recess they earned by doing their best on the MSA.

No comments:

Blog Archive