Monday, December 1, 2008

December First, already!?!?!

Wow! It is so hard to believe that today is the first day of December. Progress reports for the second quarter will be coming home this Friday.

In math we began unit three by watching a united streaming video about multiplication. We also, briefly, practiced solving multiplication problems by drawing sets and by drawing arrays. There are five homework problems for the children to solve by either drawing a set or an array. In case the problems are misplaced, here they are:
7x2, 6x3, 5x4, 8x1 and 3x7

In reading I tried to integrate social studies by reading a book about geographers to the class. I explained that my purpose for reading this was so that we all had some common vocabulary about maps and globes. Then I introduced two student atlas' to the class. They had some time to look at these independently and we shared their findings.

Following art, lunch and recess I will share a book called Why do Zippers Have Teeth? This will be to kick of a modeling of a research project. I will be modeling doing research about a city. This will, hopefully, prepare them for a research project they will be doing in January...again integrating language arts and social studies.

Back to the book, though...I will be reading it to model writing about things I wonder about. This is a precursor to a lesson about writing good questions. The questions will be used to guide my research about my city...I hope this makes sense...the bell just rang, so I am pressed for time! LOL!!

Following my mini lesson, the children will continue to write independently and I will meet with some reading groups. We will end the day with a book exchange in the media center.

Homework tonight will be a reading worksheet...sorry to not be more specific...I think it is cause/effect...if not, I was wrong!

No comments:

Blog Archive