Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Terrific Tuesday

This morning the students completed the science lesson we started yesterday.  After reviewing several natural events, the students identified one impact each could have on the environment.

After that, we began a social studies lesson by reviewing the concept of scarcity and reading to learn about the 6 different types of land use; commercial, residential, institutional, industrial, open/public space, and mixed use.

Then we switched for math and took a Go Noodle brain break.  After that we reviewed last night's homework and began our rotations.

During the small group lesson we developed an understanding of the area formula for rectangles, A=b x h.  Then, during math with a partner, the students began creating a dream house by drawing, and labeling, rooms and hallways on grid paper.  They will eventually calculate the perimeter and area for each.  Finally, during the technology rotation, the students watched 2 Khan Academy lessons, reviewing area, and then practiced calculating the area of rectangles using two Khan Academy activities.

After math, the students enjoyed lunch and indoor recess.  Then they went to PE with Mr. Smith.

When they returned to class we began our literacy block.

First I read the story, Thank You, Mr. Falker.  As I read, the children took notes on Mr. Falker's appearance, strengths and weaknesses, and character traits.  Then I modeled writing a brief character sketch, using a Facebook type format, about myself, addressing my appearance, strengths and weaknesses, and character traits.

Then, while I met with guided reading groups, the students completed a character sketch for Mr. Falker.  After that, they finished working on their historical fiction illustrations for our class book.  Finally, if they had time, they began reading poetry and identifying elements, such as, verses, stanzas, rhythm, and meter.

Pink:  I collected their Safari magazines.  Then, I gave a brief book introduction for their new book, The Chalkbox Kid.  Next we identified some unknown words in the first chapter.  HW:  Read chapter 1 and find out why this is Gregory's best birthday ever.

Blue:  We met and I collected their Safari magazines.  I introduced a new book but the group voted to try another one.  To be honest, I didn't blame them.  HW: Read for 15 minutes, free choice.

Orange:  I collected their Safari magazines.  Then I gave a brief book introduction for their next book, Frindle.  HW: Read chapter 1 and write one question to ask the group tomorrow.

Green:  I collected their Safari magazines.  Then we discussed the concepts of a pinball machine and a foster home.  After that I gave a brief book introduction for their new book, Pinballs.  HW:  Read chapter 1 and write a 1 or 2 word title, for the chapter, on a sticky note.  Make sure you can explain your title tomorrow, in group.

No comments:

Blog Archive