Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First Day of School

Wow! I feel so fortunate to have been given such a wonderful group of students! While we are only halfway through the first day, I can tell they are enthusiastic and respectful children. It's going to be a great year!

As I told the class, the first day can be a bit "boring". The teacher has to do a lot of talking in order to explain routines, rules and procedures.

This morning we went over morning routines. We also switched for math. Most students will stay with me but a few go to Mr. Vogel. In math we set up our math journal and did our first warm up.

After math, we set up our writer's notebook and did our first morning work journal entry. The students wrote about their best summer memory. Some students shared their writing with the class. Then we read the morning message and I told the children about myself. I also answered some questions!! Aren't I brave??

Right now the children are at the media center with Mrs. Rose. They are attending an orientation session. They will also get a chance to check out books. They can check out up to three items at a time this year. Our regular "book shopping" time will be on Monday afternoons at 3:00.

When the students return, we will organize our desks and set up our binders. Then they will enjoy lunch and recess.

After lunch I plan to begin reading the story Frindle to them. It is a novel by Andrew Clements. Then we will finish setting up our binders and possibly begin a writing assignment so I can obtain a baseline writing sample from each child.

We will end our day with a visit from Ms. Jones. She will read a story to the class and review the discipline policy with the children.

PLEASE check your child's home folder tonight (and every night). Tonight there are some important forms that need to be completed and returned to school as soon as possible. Also, there is a Highlights order form. You do NOT need to order, but PLEASE SIGN the form...whether you order or not. Our class can ear free items by returning SIGNED order forms....even if you say NO, SIGN the form...PLEASE...and return the form to school!!!

I look forward to a rewarding and successful year. Please feel free to comment on the blog at any time or to e-mail me at dana_c_holman@mcpsmd.org.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This blog is a great idea! I'll book mark it and keep checking back! Laura (Jessica's Mom)

Unknown said...

GLad you like it!! Any time you have a comment or suggestion, please leave it!!

Blog Archive